Monday, January 17, 2005

sad

This morning, I got back to my desk after a meeting to find a message from my mother on my voice mail. She sounded terrible and I knew that something was wrong. My first thought when I heard the beginning of her message was that her good friend's husband had died after his bypass surgery (he's been in the hospital for the past week or so I knew he was awaiting surgery). She said, "I'm just calling to see how you're doing and to see if you heard about Janice on the news. Call me."

I felt like I'd suddenly been covered in ice. I thought, oh my goodness, Janice must be seriously injured or dead from an automobile accident. I hadn't heard the local news this morning so I thought that may have been it. I wish that had been the case. My mum's friend, Janice, was murdered at her home on Saturday. They have her son in custody. I don't know what happened. It's just heartbreaking. Janice was an amazing lady. Friendly, sweet, kind, helpful, strong. The kind of person that there are just way too few of on this planet. And she's gone. I cannot get my head around it.

One thing that made me smile today: I can't think of a thing. I'm just so sad right now, I could cry.

No comments: