Wednesday, October 22, 2003

So many times over the past 13 months, I've sat in front of my computer, writing in this blog with my eyes full of tears and a huge knot in my stomach. I remember doing that when Joe Strummer died and when Wesley Willis passed away. I sobbed and wanted to vomit and I feel that way right now.

How can Elliott Smith be dead? I just feel sick. I know that if he did kill himself, it was not an easy thing to do. A good friend of mine committed suicide around this time of year in 1996. He was unhappy, felt tortured and frustrated by life. For him, a chemical imbalance caused him to live life as a guinea pig, going from doctor to doctor, prescription to prescription. The process either turned him into a zombie or made him feel worse. To end his life was to end his suffering. For him, there was no alternative. I believe that dead is dead and with death comes peace. All your demons are gone, the pain is over. At least I know that whatever demons haunted Elliott, they've died with him. RIP Elliott, I can't describe how much I'll miss you.

ELLIOTT SMITH 1969-2003

Singer-songwriter ELLIOTT SMITH has died - with suicide the suspected cause.

The singer passed away yesterday (October 21) at the age of 34. His body was discovered by a friend in his Los Angeles apartment. He had a single knife wound to the body.

Smith was then taken to Los Angeles County University of Southern California Medical Center yesterday afternoon (October 21), where he was pronounced dead.

Born in 1969, Smith loved music from an early age. He released five albums, the most critically acclaimed in the mid-90s, titled ’Either/Or’ and ’XO’.

His most mainstream success however came when his song ’Miss Misery’ from the film Good Will Hunting’ was nominated for an Academy Award in 1997.

At the time of his death Smith was working on a new album, which had a working title of ’From A Basement On The Hill’, which was set for completion later this year.

Elliott Smith

No comments: