Tuesday, October 14, 2003

I'm back to work today, just taking a quick break for lunch at the moment.

I was on a roll with a bunch of financial stuff and wasn't going to stop but I have a weird scratchy thing happening my throat and the beginnings of a sinus headache bugging me so I figured I should stop and eat. I have soup today and am hoping that it, in combination with an aleve will make me feel better.

Things are a little tense around the office at the moment. A good friend of mine was fired on Thursday afternoon. No one quite knows where to look or what to say it seems. I'm just keeping my headphones on and my head low. I don't really feel like being chatty and friendly when I'm still pretty upset about it. I talked to her this morning and we'll planning to get together on Friday for coffee. It'll be good to see her. It's was really strange to walk by her desk this morning, knowing that she wasn't there.

I know that this kind of shit happens all the time, no matter where you work. I guess we're probably "lucky" that it doesn't happen more often than this in our office. I know some folks have to deal with this kind of thing all the time. I guess it's the price you pay for not being self-employed. Working for a big company, you get lots of benefits in terms of insurance and vacation but you also have to live with the fact that control over your career is often out of your hands.

Back on the DCW band-wagon. I'm still listening to it and still loving it. The songs that jumped out at me upon first listen (Roy Walker, Step Into My Office, Baby and Stay Loose), I'm still really loving but I'm also SO into Piazza, New York Catcher and Lord Anthony. I was really nervous about this album. So many bands that I fall in love, prove to be a huge disappointment by album 5 (if not well before). Belle and Sebastian have, once again, surpassed any expectations I may have had. I can not urge you strongly enough to pick up a copy of this CD, it's just wonderful!

No comments: