Friday, July 20, 2018

Not Guilty, Just Pleasure - Date Night

On Sunday, I got a notification on my YouTube app that our father, who arts just fine, had released a new video.  This time, for "Date Night."  It's my not guilty, just pleasure pick for the week.

I keep listening and listening to "God's Favourite Customer."  I listen to it at work, at home, in the car... it's everywhere I need to be and, just like previous Father John Misty records, I can't pick a favourite song.  I suppose it's like not being able to pick a favourite child.  They all have their quirks and idiosyncrasies.  They are all lovely on their own and together, well, that's just something special.

This video, directed and animated by Chad Van Gaalen, is a perfect compliment to this song.  "Date Night" contains one of my favourite lines from this album, "I didn't get invited but I know where to go" (another favourite line - perhaps one of my top 3 favourite opening lines for a song - is from "Disappointing Diamonds are the rarest of them all" - "Like a pervert on a crowded bus, A glare of love bears down on us.")

Listen, watch, enjoy, don't overthink it too much.  How does this make you feel kittens? xo

No comments: