Thursday, July 26, 2018

CanCon Thursday - Floating

You could say that I'm a casual fan of Blue Rodeo.  I have their first few records on vinyl and am pretty sure that anything of theirs that it's the house on CD belonged to Mark (he and his ex-wife Mimi fed Blue Rodeo for a lot of years in Toronto).

I'm sharing with you today my favourite (I'll argue that it's their best) Blue Rodeo song, Floating. It's a long song and it's one you can absolutely get lost in.  It features the amazing keyboards of Mr Bob Wiseman and listening to it always reminds me of the first time I saw Blue Rodeo play. 

I remember it was summer and I was wandering around the Market Square with a friend.  It was that time of day just after dinner but before things in the bars started to get going so we were just walking and talking and looking for something to do.  A guy was handing out flyers and passes to a show up at Stages.  Stages hadn't been open very long, this might have been the first or second summer for them.  Anyway, we decided to check it out.  Mid-week in Kingston, no cover charge, it was pretty much a no-brainer for us. 

We walked in and the place was practically empty.  It was early though and over the next little while, a small crowd assembled.  I don't recall a lot about the specific playlist but I do remember that I liked their sound and we were all mesmerized watching Mr Wiseman.  He performed like no one I'd ever seen before.  He appeared to be completely engrossed in what he was doing and didn't really notice that we were even there.  I thought it was just about the coolest thing I had ever witnessed and heard.  His playing was outstanding and completely memorable.  After he left the band, I couldn't bring myself to see them again.  For me, I knew it wouldn't be the same. 

Anyway, listening to this song takes me right back to that summer night 30 or so years ago.  Hope you enjoy it xo

So now every night
You insist on reminding me
Of my lost possibilities
And the stains on the wall.


No comments: