Monday, March 09, 2009

paranoid much


midtown windows
Originally uploaded by Julep67
Late yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the screen on the weather channel was red. Apparently we were under a freezing rain warning. You all know that there are few things on this planet that I fear/hate more than freezing rain. Part of the fear/hate is of falling on the ice and part of it is (I think) fallout from the great ice storm of 1998.

The warning spoke of massive accumulations of ice. I could feel my stomach knot up and worried that we would be without heat or electricity if that actually happened. I started to go through a mental check list in my head.

"do we have lots of dog food - yes"

"can we still cook if the power goes out - yes, the barbecue will work unless the city shuts the gas off"

"is there peanut butter in the cupboard - of course there is, stop worrying you ninny"

Remembering how long it was that we all had to go without hot showers in the aftermath of the ice storm, I took a shower and washed my hair before I went to bed last night. At 1:46 a.m., I woke up because I could hear the ice hitting the bedroom window. It's a creepy sound I think. It almost sounds like someone is hurling shovel loads of sand at the window. After that, I was awake every 30 minutes or so, checking that we still had electricity.

Of course, we got some freezing rain but nothing close to what the weather dudes said we would. Also, it was mixed with snow getting around was actually not too bad this morning. I should be tougher than this, I know. I'm a Canadian, I can survive extreme heat and humidity in the summer. I have warm clothes and know how to shovel a driveway when you have snow up almost your waist. A little ice shouldn't freak me out so much, but it does everytime.

No comments: