Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Because It's Tuesday - week of May 4

Today, I'd like to start this post by wishing those of you who celebrate, a very happy Star Wars day. May the fourth be with you!!

As it's Tuesday, I'm sharing a cover song today. This particular song has be covered countless times since it was originally released in 1961 on the soundtrack to my mum's favourite Elvis movie, Blue Hawaii. "Can't help falling in love" is a classic love song with broad appeal, hence the many versions of it that are around. 

Forever, I'll associate this song with the movie Blue Hawaii. When I hear it, I'm immediately transported back to my childhood home, on the sofa with my mum, watching what is essentially, a beautifully shot promotional film for tourism Hawaii. Oh yeah, also, Elvis was in it, singing his dialog. Not the greatest film in the world but it sure is pretty!

My mum prefers the Elvis version I know. My preferred version is performed by Dead Moon. It was released on their 1988 "In the Graveyard" album. Here is a great live recording of their take on "Can't Help Falling in Love." Enjoy xo

Like a river flows
Surely to the sea
Darling, so it goes
Some things are meant to be


No comments: