Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Because It's Tuesday - week of November 5

Well, it's Tuesday again, the first Tuesday of November.  The year is just slipping away folks, to paraphrase Homer Simpson, I hope it's going somewhere good.  Actually, I have no complaints, my year has been a lot more up than down and it's been a while since I've been able to say that.

So, today, I'm sharing a cover. When this song was originally released, I was in (I think) 7th grade.  I remember it was very popular in general and particularly with my school chums and me. I'm pretty sure we just liked the sentiment of the title and were sort of oblivious to the inspiration for the song.  I know that years later, Bob Geldof (the song's writer) admitted that he'd regretted writing it because it made the shooter famous.

If you haven't figured it out by now, today's cover tune is "I Don't Like Mondays." Originally released in 1979 by The Boomtown Rats, the version I'm sharing today was recorded by one of my all time favourite singer songwriters, Ron Sexsmith.  I swear, I would buy three copies of Ron Sexsmith singing the phone book.  I love his voice and he is an amazing writer.  I love his interpretation of this classic song and hope you do too.

Happy November kittens xo

All the playing's stopped in the playground now
She wants to play with her toys a while
And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
And the lesson today is how to die
And then the bullhorn crackles
And the captain tackles
With the problems and the how's and why's
And he can see no reasons
'Cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die, die


No comments: