Thursday, October 24, 2019

Cancon Thursday - Wanna Be Your Friend

When you ask the average Canadian about bands from Kingston, one particularly well known band's name is usually the one you hear them mention.

File this under "unpopular opinion" but that band, I was never really a fan of.  I mean, when we were in high school, I saw them a bunch of times and even bought their first couple of records (to support local talent) but it never really did much for me and eventually, I just stopped going to their shows and buying their records.

In the 1990's, I don't think that there was a Kingston-based band I saw more often than The Inbreds. I was (and still am a little bit) involved with CFRC (our local campus / community radio station which broadcasts from Queen's University) and we played the Inbreds, a lot.  Why wouldn't we? They were local and they were awesome.  All of the PF bands (the label started by Dave from the Inbreds) got a lot of airplay and support from the folks at the station.  Kingston has always had a lively music scene but there was something (to me) very special about those PF bands.

For Cancon Thursday, I'm going to share one of my very favourite songs by The Inbreds, "Wanna Be Your Friend" from their 1996 album "It's Sydney or the Bush." Wherever  you are, I'd encourage you to support your local scene. That band you check out this week could just end up writing a song that becomes a favourite of yours for years and years to come.  Enjoy xo

This marina once was smaller, and the grass grew this high
We'd go for boat rides along the harbour with my hand over the side
(You and me) I wanna be your friend, well we always fight
I wanna be your friend tonight


No comments: