Sunday, December 21, 2008

on baking and Kirsty


Peanut Butter Blossoms
Originally uploaded by Julep67
Just a couple of things to say on this snowy Sunday.

I finally started my proper Christmas baking this morning. It's trickier than I thought it would be, baking with two dogs in the house. I would have liked them to stay completely out of the room while I was mixing and beating stuff but I had to settle for them watching me closely from separate corners of the kitchen. Sam was particularly eagle-eyed, hoping that a stray cookie would hit the floor. It didn't happen but he was rewarded for his patience with a doggie biscuit.

As I usually do around this time of the year, I've been listening to and thinking about Kirsty MacColl. Eight years ago, on December 18, Kirsty was killed in Mexico. If you're unfamiliar with the story of Kirsty's tragic death, I'd like to urge you to click the link on her name just above. 8 years on, her family still seeks justice for her.

Given what happened to Kirsty and all of the violent attacks on innocent Canadians which have happened in Mexico in recent years, I really don't understand why people continue to vacation there. Speak with your dollars folks. Please join me in my boycott of Mexico and help Jean MacColl in her campaign.

1 comment:

Carol said...

your cookies look so yummy!