Thursday, December 11, 2008

festivus for the rest of us


doing errands
Originally uploaded by Julep67
So, the big day is now just 2 weeks away. The holiday season feels a little different for us this year because we're doing very little "shopping." I'm not missing it at all but it does feel a little odd.

In an effort to 1) save some $$ and 2) be kinder to the environment, there are a few things that we're doing differently this year. The first thing is about the gifts. We've discussed it with the folks we usually exchange gifts with and have all agreed to do almost nothing. I'm still going to bake so there will be gifts of cookies for everyone on our list but that will be about it. For our immediate family, we're going to do a little bit of fun shopping at our local dollar store but I've put myself on a really tight budget for it.

The second big thing we're doing this year is not sending out a traditional holiday greeting card. In an effort to save some trees (and some postage!), we're doing an e-card (if you'd like one, send me a msg with your e-dress and I'll add you to my list). The money we would have spent on cards and postage will be donated to our local Humane Society.

I'm actually enjoying not getting caught up in the commercial elements of the holiday season. I think it'll be much more restful and sane than it normally is and really, that's what it's supposed to be about, right? ...less about the shopping and more about spending time with the folks you care about.

No comments: