Wednesday, August 24, 2005

awoken by the dog on wheels

Several weeks ago, we picked up a small "home theatre system" for our bedroom. It's got 5.01 and we needed a dvd player for the bedroom and this was a good deal. The box was open in the store so we got it for under $100. Not bad huh? Now, the sound is pretty good as our bedroom isn't huge and it's been working rather well. The odd time, when you use the remote to turn it off, it'll come right back on again, or vice versa. Other than that though, no serious complaints.

Last night, I had the tv on before bed. When I turned the tv and the stereo thing off, the stereo was set to the tv audio mode. At 4:20 a.m. I heard that "snap" sound and then beginning part of Belle and Sebastian's "Dog on Wheels" (I had left disc 1 of Push Barman to Open Old Wounds in the player). Somehow, the stereo had turned itself on, switched to disc player mode and started playing. I groped around for the remote and quickly shut it off, just as Stuart started singing "When I was a boy I was confounded by you..."

We can't figure out if either our house is haunted or someone in the neighbourhood owns something that operates on the same frequency as our bargain stereo. Either way, we both fell back asleep for 15 minutes, until the alarm went off again. If I was a normal "up at 6:30 a.m. person," I might have been pissed off. I'm not pissed though, I was just startled, really. If it happens again tomorrow, I might be.

No comments: