Friday, January 31, 2020

Not Guilty Just Pleasure - The Girl I Can't Forget

As it's Friday and the last day of January, I'm sharing something that makes me feel happy and warm inside. Ever since I first heard their debut album in the 1990's, I've been a fan of the Fountains of Wayne.

The summer I met Mark, we spent a lot of time driving back and forth between Kingston and Toronto. I'm pretty sure that the only two records I listened to in the car that summer were Wilco's "Summerteeth" and "Utopia Parkway" by Fountains of Wayne.

A silly aside,  when I met him, Mark was driving an old, blue Toyota Tercel. When he picked me up for our first date, I noticed that on the gas tank door, he had a Southern Culture on the Skids "Plastic Seat Sweat" sticker. At that point, I had a feeling that things were going somewhere good.

Anyway, in 2005, Fountains of Wayne released a wonderful compilation of b-sides, covers and rarities. The album was called "Out of State Plates" and it also featured two new songs. I'm sharing one of those songs today, "The Girl I Can't Forget." I remember the first time I heard it. I hit the repeat button and probably listened to it 10 times in a row. In my opinion, it is an absolutely perfect pop song.  If you haven't heard it before, you're in for a big treat.

Enjoy it kiddos and have a wonderful weekend xo

And now that I'm with her
The whole thing seems a bit absurd
Though she never fails to tell the tale
Of the time she had to post my bail
And for giving me a second chance
I'm forever in her debt
Since the night I can't remember
She's the girl
I will never forget


No comments: