Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Because It's Tuesday - week of January 21

Happy Tuesday day.

Have you dug out? Are you thawed out?

January huh? January in Ontario exists to help us remember to not complain too much about the humidity in Ontario in August.
Booze Cruisers, 1985

Speaking of August, or summertime rather, the first time I heard the cover I'm sharing with you today was on a "booze cruise" of the 1000 Islands. It was a summer evening, sometime in the mid-1980's and it was a private party for the staff of the grocery store I worked at while I was in high school.  Hearing the song was memorable for a couple of reasons, the first was because I instantly knew that I loved it (to me it was a million times better than the original) and the second was, moments after hearing it, one of the guys I worked with managed to turn the boat around, quickly, in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. We all stumbled about and the "captain" (who had been chatting up one of the cashiers) ran up the stairs to get us back on track. The whole thing was memorable.

The photo above is from that very same cruise. From left to right, Pete, the guy who turned the boat around, the "captain" who sorted us out, me and Beaver. Hard to believe that was almost 35 years ago now. Yikes.

Gah.

The song I'm sharing today is by Aztec Camera, it's their cover of Van Halen's "Jump." Originally released as a b-side to the single "all I need is everything" I think that Jump received more attention than the a-side did. Hope you enjoy this extremely low-key version of the Van Halen classic.

I get up, and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real


No comments: