Thursday, May 31, 2018

CanCon Thursday - Hopes Go Astray

A really really long time ago, in the summer of 1987, I heard the Northern Pikes for the first time.  Like a lot of us, the first song of theirs I remember hearing was probably "Teenland."  Not long after I heard that, I remember seeing them at the Lakeview Manor (or "the Manor" as we used to call it - I still miss that place!).  They put on a great show.  A few weeks after that, we were surprised to see them opening up for David Bowie at the CNE (weird bill, David Bowie, Duran Duran (!?) and the Northern Pikes).  We felt kind of bad for them.  Bowie's stuff was covered up with tarpaulin, Duran Duran's stuff was in front of Bowie's, also covered, and the Northern Pikes were pushed to the very edge of the huge stage.  They played to an almost empty CNE Stadium but I remember them still kicking ass.  We really enjoyed ourselves but I'm sure we were way too far away for them to hear our cheers and hoots and hollering.  They were the ultimate good sports!

Over the years since, I've always kept the Northern Pikes on my Cancon playlist.  Their songs were great and listening to them now, they still hold up.  They don't sound too dated (an unfortunate side effect for some bands who were big in the 1980's).  At one point in the early 1990's, I met Jay Semko.  He was on a solo tour and came by the radio station for an interview and to perform live on air.  Jay was very appreciative of the support which was very sweet.  We professed our love for the Pikes to him and he seemed genuinely surprised and very touched.  Such a nice guy, it's great to see that they are still touring and attracting big crowds.

So, for Cancon Thursday, I thought I'd share one of my favourites, Hopes Go Astray.  Hope you dig it xo


No comments: