Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Beause It's Tuesday - week of May 29

Many women who grew up in 70's and 80's, myself included, listened to a lot of Olivia Newton-John.  It seemed that from the mid-70's to early 80's, she was everywhere.  Certainly for me, Grease was a huge thing.  I remember that my dad took us to see it after I passed 5th grade.  We got that awesome gate fold soundtrack album too and practically wore it out.

I'm sure she inspired a lot of girls to pick up instruments or to start singing, in particular a lot of the "girl rockers" of the 1990's.  Now we know the extent of her influence on Juliana Hatfield.  Earlier this year, Juliana released a tribute album called "Juliana Hatfield Sings the Songs of Olivia Newton-John."  Proceeds from the sale of the album will benefit the Olivia Newton-John Cancer and Wellness Centre.  You can pick up a copy of the record here.

When I listened to the album for the first time, I realized that I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Olivia Newton-John's songs too (not to mention that I still remembered all of the words to all of these songs).  The album is just a pure joy to listen to.  Juliana has released a video for "A Little More Love" (one of my favourites!) and it's so much fun.  I hope you enjoy it half as much I do.

Happy Tuesday kittens xo


From her bandcamp page:

"I have never not loved Olivia Newton-John. Her music has brought me so much pure joy throughout my life. I loved her when I was a child and I love her still. Her voice and her positive energy and her melodies have stood the test of time and they give me as much pleasure now as they ever did. Listening to her is an escape into a beautiful place. She has inspired me so much personally and I just wanted to give something back; to share some of these tremendous songs, reinterpreted, with love, by me." -Juliana Hatfield

No comments: