Sunday, May 21, 2006

the birthday boys


joe & nat - the birthday boys
Originally uploaded by Julep67.
We survived!!

Barely sure, but we did.

Seriously though, I think Joe had a swell time at his party today, Nat too (although honestly, I was more concerned about Joe given the fragile state of his health these days).

Joe's brother Nat and Nat's son Rob, arrived at Joe's place a little bit after 10 a.m. Mark and I arrived around 11:30 a.m. or so. We'd had to pick up the cake we'd ordered (from Costco, I can't stress enough how great that cake was!) but couldn't do it until 10:30 a.m. so we knew we'd get there a little later. My folks were planning to arrive around 12:30 p.m. We figured that staggering things out a little bit would be less overwhelming for Joe. That seemed to be good.

It wasn't a long drawn-out affair. After Joe and the residents on his floor finished their lunch, we brought the cake in. A few of his buddies stuck around too. The whole thing lasted about an hour I guess. Joe seemed to be stronger, and feeling better today than he had in a good long while. He's started back at his physiotherapy and we've noticed a huge improvement in his energy level and general attitude.

After the party, we went for lunch with Uncle Nat and Rob. We chose a place that was about 30 minutes west of here. Picking this place made it easy for them to get back on the highway when lunch was over and it put them 30 minutes closer to home. I wasn't feeling 100% this morning when I got up so all this running around has really taken it out of me. At the moment, we're both pretty pooped. Even though tomorrow is a holiday and we could "stay up late," I think we're going to crawl into bed.

No comments: