Thursday, October 29, 2020

Cancon Thursday - Young and Wasted

Hawksley Workman. You're quite a guy. You've entertained us as we've been stuck at home, from your father-in-law's basement at first and most recently, from your brand new basement. I've so enjoyed each "Hawksley Night In Canada" show, in particular I like the pet segments. You make me laugh and cry and it's always a good time. Thank you.

Hawksley Workman - More Rage Less Tears
Now, in addition to providing us with isolation entertainment, you release a beautiful new record. "Less Rage More Tears" is a fantastic name for our pandemic times and the album contains a collection of wonderful, thoughtful songs. One of the things I love the most about his writing is that I'm always hearing new things in his songs, songs I have listened to dozens of times. All of a sudden, a lyric will jump out and it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. Brilliant. 

I had a really difficult time picking just one song to share here on Cancon Thursday. In the end, I decided on "Young and Wasted." Honestly, the clincher for me was the line about the wartime bungalow. I am living in a cosy (not cold) wartime bungalow in Kingston, Ontario. It was built in 1943 not too far from the old Alcan Plant. Many men who lived in my neighbourhood in the 1940's returned from the war and went to work at Alcan. 

I hope that everyone goes out and picks up a copy of "Less Rage More Tears." You don't even have to leave your house if you don't want to / can't. You can order it at his bandcamp page: https://hawksleyworkman.bandcamp.com/ It's important to support our favourite artists at a time like this (I mean it's always important but with live shows being very limited, buying records and CD's is a good way to show them some love while treating yourself. Kindness IS magic after all.

So give this a listen and let me know what you think. Again, thank you Hawksley, for this wonderful record.

Stay safe everyone xo
growing up so cold in a wartime bungalow
you were such a show-off 
brushing your teeth before bed even when we were both so drunk and stoned
and laughing and falling down
and i just fell asleep and started dreaming


No comments: