Tuesday, June 04, 2019

Because It's Tuesday - week of June 4

Happy Tuesday kids.

I'd like to start this post off by wishing my beautiful parents a very happy anniversary.

53 years ago today, a couple of sweet kids from Smiths Falls, Ontario were married in St. Francis de Sales Church.  I'm so glad that they did because, if they hadn't, it's pretty unlikely that I'd be sitting here today. So happy anniversary mum and dad.


Because it's Tuesday, I'm sharing a cover song today (as I usually do). Today's song was originally released the year before my folks were married (by Paul Simon in 1965) but the popular version was released just a month before their wedding, in May 1966.  As I have mentioned before, I love cover songs and every once in a while, I like the cover more than I do the original.  That is the definitely the case today.

Back back back in the 90's, I listened to a lot of Red House Painters.  Admittedly, I haven't listened to them in a while but I was recently reminded of their beautiful cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "I Am A Rock." It's a song about isolation and I think that Mark Kozelek's voice just lends itself beautifully to those kinds of songs.  It seems just about perfectly suited to this one.

Give it a listen and let me know what you think. 



No comments: