Thursday, October 17, 2002

We're getting our exercise bike fixed!! I know that doesn't sound terribily exciting but I'm happy about it. About 5 months ago, we bought a really cool, recumbent, exercise bike. It is sort of fancy-dancy, has lots of lights and buzzers and will tell you what your heart rate is while you're riding.

For the first 2 months we had it, I rode it almost every day for at least 30 minutes. I'm up early in the morning so I'd get up at 5 a.m. and ride until 5:30 a.m. or so. Over the summer, when it got so hot and humid, I didn't really look twice at it. The humidity and intense heat made just getting through the day seem like an enourmous feat. Once Labour Day had come and gone, I started using the bike again, again, I really enjoyed it. I wasn't riding it as often as I had when we first got it, but I was builiding back up to it. Anyway, about 4 weeks ago, while I was riding on it, the motor seized up and the thing started to smoke. Not good, I thought.

Mark diagnosed it as needing a new tension motor but neither of us had time to call the fitness place about getting it fixed. Finally, last night, a repair guy came and confirmed Mark's diagnosis of a faulty tension motor. He's ordered us a new motor and we should back on the bike within the next week. I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike. I like the way I felt when I was riding every day. I had more energy and flexibility and I definitely was sleeping better at night.

I've never been a big fitness person but I really do enjoy that bike. We keep it in the living room in front of the television so you can watch and ride at the same time. It's a great way for me to combine a guilty pleasure with something that is actually good for me!

No comments: