Friday, April 21, 2023

Finally Friday - The Ballad of High Noon

Hey kids!
Happy Birthday Dad - 1982

Happy Friday to you. Looks like we've almost made it to the finish line of the working week again. I hope you've arrived relatively unscathed. 

For those of you who observe them, I hope you had an enjoyable Bicycle Day (which marks the anniversary of Albert Hofmann's first LSD trip - not to be confused with World Bicycle Day, which is celebrated on June 3) and a lovely 4/20. What a week for celebrations!

Monday, April 24, is my dad's birthday. This will be the first year we mark the day without him. I'll be getting together with my family this weekend. You can bet there will be lots of laughs, stories, and probably some tears (mostly from me, a giant crybaby). We had such a wonderful time last year celebrating dad's 80th birthday. It's still shocking to me that he's gone and won't be tucking into a big piece of cake on Monday. 

My Finally Friday song choice today is by the legendary Tex Ritter. My dad was a fan of his, and my mom, well, not so much. I found this clip from an August 1970 episode of the Dick Cavett show. By the time this aired, Mr. Ritter was in his 60s, but boy, his voice was still amazing. "The Ballad of High Noon" was released in 1952, the theme song to the movie "High Noon." It won the Oscar for best song that year and Tex Ritter performed it at the ceremony. Others have recorded the song, but I think of him when I hear that famous opening line, "Do not forsake me, oh my darlin', on this our wedding day."

I hope you enjoy it. Also, if you're still lucky to have your dad around (and your dad is one of the good guys like mine), hug him or call him and tell him that you love him. I'd give just about anything to be able to do that again. xo

Do not forsake me, oh my darlin'
You made that promise when we wed
Do not forsake me, oh my darlin'
Although you're grievin', I can't be leavin'
Until I shoot Frank Miller dead

No comments: