Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Because It's Tuesday - week of April 11

God Only Knows
You may not know this about me, but I love "train wreck" TV.  The funny thing is, I didn't realize that I did. Many years ago, while I was at work, Mark had popped home for a break (he drove a cab so he would stop by the house to grab lunch). He turned on CNN and saw that the Dannielynn Birkhead custody trial was on. He hit record on the PVR, and when I got home, I could watch that train wreck. It was a wonderful surprise for me. It was also the first time I realized that I loved to watch a "real life" shit show on the TV!

In the years since I became a regular viewer of Sister Wives on TLC. I lost track of how many seasons of the show have aired, but it's into the teens by now. Reality TV's favourite polygamists, the Brown Family, may not have started out as a train wreck, but they seem to be one now. The family has pretty much broken up, with only one wife remaining married to the patriarch. I enjoyed watching how the wives and children reacted to the ridiculous man at the centre of the family. It was amusing to me to see things blow up in his face (not very nice of me to admit that I know, but there you go).

Recently, because I'm waiting for a new season of Sister Wives, I decided to re-watch HBO's "Big Love." If you haven't seen it, it ran for 5 seasons on HBO, and the story followed a family of modern-day polygamists who are struggling to live a normal life while still practicing their faith. It's set in Utah, where, at the time, polygamy was considered a felony. When it first aired in 2006, it took the coveted Sunday night time slot, which had been previously filled by The Sopranos. Big shoes to fill. It had a great cast and spectacular writing.

I won't get into the nuts and bolts of the show, but today's song is a cover of the show's theme song, "God Only Knows," by the Beach Boys. It's possibly one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The song opened every episode of the first 3 seasons of "Big Love." Over the weekend, I watched the series finale and was reminded of Natalie Maine's cover of the Beach Boys classic. I'm not really a fan of hers, but I do like her version of the song (although it doesn't hold a candle to the David Bowie cover). This version played over the closing credits of the last show of the series. 

Hopefully, your week is off to a good start. Take care kiddos xo

God only knows what I'd be without you
If you should ever leave me
Though life would still go on believe me
The world could show nothing to me
So what good would living do me

No comments: