Monday, January 01, 2018

Watch out 2018

Happy New Year to you.

shetland sheepdog sheltie
Happy New Year from Gracie and me
Did you enjoy the holidays? Was 2017 a good year for you?  Due to the deep freeze we've been in this week, I spent a good chunk of the holidays at home and that gave me time to reflect upon the year.  I had some really awesome things happen during 2017 and some completely devastating things happen too.

Losing Sam was definitely the toughest thing I had to deal with.  The full impact of it still hasn't hit me yet I don't think.  I've been a bit of a crying machine the entire time I've been off for the holidays the past week and a bit and I know it's because I miss him so much.  A lot of stuff I thought I'd dealt with around Mark's death came back in full force that week I was saying goodbye to my Sammy.  I love that quote that is often attributed to Queen Elizabeth about how grief is the price we pay for love.  It's true.

The good things in 2017 were plenty.  Lots of good music, live and recorded came into my life this year.  I made some wonderful new friends and enjoyed spending a lot of time with them.  I also saw a lot more of my old friends.  I intentionally sought folks out and was so happy I did.  I reconnected with some amazing people.  I am so lucky to have so many wonderful, smart, funny people in my life.  The year had a lot of laughter in it. 

I worked pretty hard this year too, both at my job and at things in my personal life.  I feel like, despite my bereavement, I'm staring 2018 from a position of strength.  I'm not a person who is big on resolutions but I have made some plans which I've put into motion and coincidentally that is happening at the beginning of the year. 

Things feel like they are off to a good start.  Fingers crossed, they'll keep on going that way.  xo

No comments: