Tuesday, January 23, 2018

because it's Tuesday - week of January 23

Disco.

It was everywhere when we were kids.  On the radio, on the television.

Disco sucks was heard a lot too.  Some folks just didn't get it.  To this day, I don't get what the kerfuffle was about.  It was dance music.  Dancing can be a lot of fun.

Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" was a soulful scorcher! Unbelievably catchy and incredibly dance-able. It's sort of hard to believe that it was released over 40 years ago!!

Equally hard to imagine, is that the Communards kick-ass cover is over 30 years old.  It's not surprising that they covered it, considering Ms Houston's version was an anthem for the AIDS movement and AIDS was at a crisis point in the mid-80's.  In my first apartment, I had a huge Communards poster in my bathroom.  I remember listening to their records with my girlfriends as we got ready to head out dancing. Gah, it was so long ago... not sure how it can be that long ago when we're all still young and fabulous!

Betcha can't listen to this and not want to dance around the living room.

enjoy xo


No comments: