Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Because It's Tuesday - week of November 3

Englishman In New York
About 30 years ago (!!) or so, I won a contest on a local commercial radio station. It was called "See Sting in the South" and the prize was a trip for two to go to Atlanta and see Sting in concert (as luck would have it, Squeeze was opening for him!!). Anyway, when they called me to tell me that I'd won the contest, they asked me what my favourite Sting song was. I didn't really have one, I was sort of "meh" about Sting but was keen to take a free trip. I blurted out, "Englishman In New York" most likely because I'd just seen the video on Much Music. The dude from the radio station said something like, "OH! You like the deep tracks huh?" I actually chuckled at that. I don't think a song can be a single from an album AND a deep track at the same time. Oh well, free trip, right!?

So, as it's Tuesday, I'm sharing a cover. It's a version of "Englishman In New York" by the Flying Pickets. I'm not sure if it was actually released in 1990 or 1992 (it varies depending on the source) but it's a lovely a capella treatment. My first introduction to the Flying Pickets was hearing their cover (a UK Christmas #1 in 1983) of "Only You" by Yazoo (and lead singer, the late Brian Hibbard was also on Coronation Street so that was very cool in my books). 

Hope you enjoy this little stroll down memory lane. Have a good week kiddos xo

Takes more than combat gear to make a man
Takes more than a license for a gun
Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
A gentleman will walk but never run




No comments: