Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Because It's Tuesday - week of November 10

Do you feel relieved? I know that I do. I had no idea how much anxiety I was carrying with me about the results of US election until Saturday. I was visiting my parents and my dad turned the TV on just as CNN was calling Pennsylvania. As I watched Van Jones crying, I realized I was crying too. What a moment, what a day. 

Of course, like many folks, I was fearful that on Sunday morning, I might have woken up to news of violence and riots. Fortunately, I did not. It was so wonderful to watch the coverage joyous crowds of folks celebrating in the streets all over the place (not just in the USA). What a long, strange, four years it's been. I know it's not quite over yet but things just feel better today, for me anyway.
Martha and the Vandellas

So, as it's Tuesday, I'm sharing a cover. Today's song was written by Marvin Gaye, William "Mikey" Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter. It was made famous by the amazing Martha and the Vandellas in 1964. It went to No. 2 in the charts and became their signature song.

The version I'm sharing today made it's debut back in July 1985 during the Live Aid broadcast. I know this because I watched it. It was super fun to watch these middle aged white dudes (David Bowie and Mick Jagger) bopping around. Proceeds from the single went to the Live Aid charity fund. It still makes me smile, 35 years later. Hopefully it'll make you smile too and maybe dance around the kitchen.

Stay well my friends, wash your hands, wear a mask and please, be kind to each other xo

Philadelphia, PA (dancing in the street)
Baltimore and D.C. now (dancing in the street)
Can't forget the Motor City (dancing in the street)


No comments: