Thursday, February 01, 2018

Surviving January

How did January treat you?

We made it through, all the way, somehow.  February, in Kingston at least, is starting out sunny and mild (and a bit drippy, the snow which fell earlier in the week is melting right now).  Let's hope it stays this week.

Peggy Pizzahead
Peggy Pizzahead
January was a month of some reflection for many folks I think.  It certainly was for me.  The weather was extremely cold at times.  Whenever we deal with extended periods of extreme weather (cold or  hot) I always think about my ancestors and how they coped here when Canada was a new country.  They certainly didn't have the ability to crank up the thermostat and then treat themselves to a new fuzzy throw (which is so soft and dreamy), on sale for $25 (from $80!!) with free shipping too, to comfort themselves.  I have no idea how they survived but thankfully they did or I wouldn't be here.

For most of us in this country, we have it pretty good.  We forget that a lot of the time.  It's easier to focus on the bad over the good, on what we're missing instead of what we have.

Privilege.   It's something I acknowledge every day.  I have a good job, wonderful family, terrific friends, a decent home, my own vehicle, my health, most of the time I feel very safe.  For these things I'm grateful.  I had no say in where or when I would be born but I absolutely know how lucky I was to be born in 1967 in Canada, to parents who were married to each other and wanted me... to parents who loved me unconditionally and provided me with all of the essentials I needed to thrive.  Lucky. Are there things I didn't have growing up? Sure.  But they were "nice to have" things (and goodness knows I had more than my share of "nice to have" things), there was nothing I ever needed that I didn't receive.

Didn't really plan to spit that out but there it is.  /rant

 January did some weird stuff to my head and not just because I had a touch of the flu in the middle of the month.  Good weird stuff (not the Odds album).  I was unbelievably saddened (it hit me far deeper than I would have ever imagined) by the news of Mark E Smith's death last week.  The Fall have always been a part of the soundtrack of my life, well since I was a young teenager anyway.  That his voice is silent now is almost unbelievable to me.

The "resolutions" or plans I made at the beginning of the year are moving along.  I still feel like I'm operating from a position of strength as I mentioned I felt last month.  For the first time in a really long time, I've been enjoying posting here more regularly.  Even if most of my posts are simple self-created memes, I'm posting and generating even a modest amount of "content" is feeling nice.  My good start to the year is carrying on and I'm confident that I can keep working that plan through February and beyond.

No comments: