Monday, August 25, 2008

watering can


watering can
Originally uploaded by Julep67
A garbage truck has been parked (presumably broken down), across the street from my office all morning. At first I thought that the driver may have been having a medical emergency (we're next door to the hospital) but since then, repair trucks and lots of men have been on the scene, standing around, staring at it and scratching their heads. Not a very nice way for the driver to start the working week.

Speaking of working week, we had a bit of a working weekend 'round our house. I say "we" but actually Mark did the lion's share of it. He got a tonne of yard work done this weekend. Some of it was stuff we'd wanted to do for a long time now so it's good to have it out of the way and off of the "to do" list before the snow flies.

I didn't get as much done as Mark because I felt kind of shitty all weekend. On Saturday, I was achy and tired and dizzy and felt like I was getting a cold. Yesterday, I thought I had a cold, but by bedtime, I felt much better. Weirdness. It was pretty irritating too because I only got about 1/3 of the things on my "to do" list done.

We're both back to work today. I'm in the office by myself today which is always strange. It's quiet and I do get lots accomplished but it's a little eerie too, being in the cottage alone. It's hard to believe that next week is Frosh week and that summer will be over for another year.

Things start to get really crazy busy 'round here when the students return. I don't work directly with students but the pace picks up, nonetheless. Mark will get busy too, which is good, because they've had a pretty quiet summer. Oh, that reminds me, the other day, Mark had an interesting fare (well he has some weird fares every day but this one was just sort of amusing). He got a call to a house not far from where we live. He picked up this young lad who was going "to work." Turns out, he's one of those guys who pan-handles at the intersection where the old traffic circle used to be (by the mid-town Canadian Tire store for those of you who are familiar with Kingston). He had a sign that said, "traveling to Halifax - broke - hungry - anything helps." He paid Mark with a $20 bill and didn't tip (guess he doesn't get the tip karma thing). We saw him at the corner on Saturday when we were heading home from Costco.

If he really was heading to Halifax, wouldn't it make more sense to be up by the highway where someone might actually be heading to the Maritimes? Oh well, what do I know right? At least he didn't try to stiff Mark for the fare, the whole thing just struck me as odd. Of course, that's not even close to the oddest thing that happened to Mark last week but it's a good example of the kind of things that cab drivers get to see all of the time.

No comments: