Sunday, October 09, 2005

roadtrip report - part 2

It's hard to believe that at this time last week, I was standing in the middle of a crush of people, waiting anxiously for Belle and Sebastian to play. Given what the weather's been like, both here and there, this weekend, I'm so happy that it happened last weekend.

When we set off on Friday, I wasn't sure if we would get all the way to NY on Friday night but Mark sort of had that idea in the back of his head. Just outside of Marathon, NY, I found the Randi Rhodes show on the radio. It was a silly little thing but it made me really happy. We were about half-way there and I could hear Randi on the radio, not streaming through computer speakers. Unfortunately, we were driving through some pretty hilly areas (it seemed to be a big skiing area) so it cut out but, it felt like we were really close if I could hear Randi's voice!

Around Scranton, Mark suggested that I call the hotel we were booked into (for Saturday and Sunday) and see if they had a room for Friday too. They didn't have a room free that night, but, when I asked if they could suggest something in the neighbourhood, they did. I was a little ticked when I lost my cell signal in the middle of the call but as luck would have it, I found the name and number of the place in my trusty CAA guide book. The guy I spoke with assured me that they had many rooms available and didn't need to take my credit card to hold one for us. I thought that this was a little odd but it was after 8 p.m. so I didn't think much of it.

Sometime around 10 p.m. or so, we got into Jersey City and found our way to the Holland Tunnel. Admittedly, we got sort of turned around in Jersey City but I blame it on a) it being after 10 p.m. on a Friday and us having been up since 5 a.m. that morning; b)us having missed dinner c) being stupid Canadian tourists. Once we found got our bearings and found the tunnel, everything was fine. We got into Manhattan, found the Manhattan Bridge and made our way into Brooklyn. We were tired and hungry but we were almost there!!

No comments: