Monday, September 12, 2005

nuts

Listening to the radio all day while I'm working is making me crazy. As I've mentioned before, I stream Air America whenever I am at my desk. The past couple of weeks have been extremely busy at work, so busy in fact that I sometimes forget (until I'm urgently reminded) to pee or to stop for lunch. Sometimes when I get busy like this, I can't listen to AA as it's too much for my brain to cope with. I'm thinking that I need to take a break from it for the next few days. Every once in a while I do this, take the break and listen to music instead of the talk, the talk makes me think too much, get angry too much. It's good, I'd rather be angry and informed than blissed out and ignorant.

One of the problems with the listening is that it makes me want to read in the evenings, read blogs, news sites, that sort of thing. Again, the more I read and hear, the more my brain spins and the harder it is to shut down at night. The other night I actually had a dream that Al Franken and I were traveling together for work and, in the middle of the airport in Chicago, I helped him and his wife Frannie, paint their kitchen. Don't ask me why their kitchen was in the airport, or why Al was on a trip with me an a colleague. I've been working in my dreams a lot recently, either on office related projects or I'm helping rescue folks from the flood. I dream about the flood, a lot. It's really graphic and scary and I can't imagine what kind of dreams that the survivors are having if I'm having the dreams I'm having just from watching the tv and listening to the radio.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that when I'm overwhelmed like this, by work, by the world, by life, I stop writing. It is exactly at times like this that I should be writing. Unfortunately, my brain just shuts down, well the writing part of it does. Maybe if I listen to some music tomorrow, my sad old noggin' will have some down time and be able to process everything and I'll write something that is a little more interesting than this. Time will tell.

No comments: