Friday, April 12, 2013

sunshine on a rainy day

I recently listened to Marc Maron interview Dave Grohl about his Sound City documentary and got thinking a lot about Fleetwood Mac.

I was 10 years old when their classic album Rumors was released.  You could not escape those songs.  They were constantly on the radio, the sunny tunes, the biting lyrics.  Hearing Dave talk about Sound City inspired me to go back and listen to Rumors again, for the first time in a really long time.

Hearing those old songs transported me back to 7th or 8th grade.  At lunchtime, we used to go to my friend Shari's house.  Her backyard was spitting distance from the school yard.  We could go to her house, climb up the tv antenna and get into her room.  Shari's dad had the stereo system wired through the entire house, there were speakers in every room and the turntable was built into an end table in the living room, very cool to my 12 year old self.  We would put on her mother's copy of Rumors and dance around the living room until it was time to get back to school (we were usually running out the door toward the school when the bell ran).

This sunny little memory of the late 70's broke through the dark, rainy, icy morning for me and distracted me from worrying about the large, ice-covered tree branch that is swinging wildly outside my window right now.

Happy Friday kids!


No comments: