Friday, November 02, 2012

It was 20 years ago today

On November 2, 1992, I started my first, continuing appointment position at Queen's.  Today, I am celebrating 20 years of working for the same employer.  I know that isn't something that is very common these days.  I have not spent the entire time in the same department and that's helped keep things interesting.

CFRC Summer Picnic 1995

My first continuing job at the University was at CFRC Radio.  I had been working at Queen's for a while, temping in different departments and applying for any jobs that were posted to external folks.  I had applied for the CFRC job in April but didn't get called for an interview until October.  If I'm honest, I think I'd forgotten I had even applied.  I probably thought that it had gone to someone else and they didn't bother to loop back to me.  This photo is me with the woman who hired me, former station manager, Maureen Plunkett.  I think this was taken in the summer of 1995 by Jane Mundell, host of the awesome, "Careless Memories" show which aired on Saturday mornings in the mid-90's and featured all of our favourite cheesey 80's songs.   

The position at the station was half-time so I filled in the rest of my time temping in other departments.In late 2000, almost 8 years into my gig at the radio station (which I LOVED), an opportunity came my way to take on a full-time position in the area I'm currently working.  I'd been temping there since 1996 so it was a good move for me and I would move into a job full-time which I'd been doing part-time for a while.
 
Looking back, it's hard to believe that it's been 20 years.  20 years! If I'm really lucky, I'll get to stay on campus for another 20.  It's a good place to work, I'm surrounded by amazing people who are doing exceptional things and I feel priviledged to be a part of it.

No comments: