Sunday, February 04, 2007

no way!


saturday storm
Originally uploaded by Julep67.
According to the environment Canada website, there is a minus 21 wind chill outside. I just came out from spending almost an hour outside and there is no way that it is that cold. Maybe down by the lake (where the airport is - where they monitor the conditions) it's that cold.

The sun is shining and everything is sparkly and pretty and fresh and it's a lovely day. The sun is making the snow and ice on the van melt actually.

We got dumped on yesterday in a big way. It stopped for a little while last evening so we made a quick run to the drug store and on the way home the winds kicked up. The drug store is less than 5 minutes from our house and I'm glad we didn't have to be out very long. Coming home, we had to drive through this really large intersection and the traffic lights were all messed up. Because of the blowing snow, you couldn't see very well so it was difficult to do the "four way stop" rules thing.

Late yesterday afternoon, while it was still snowing, I went out to try to get a jump on the shovelling. A friend of Mark's had been over for coffee earlier in the afternoon and you could not see his footprints in the driveway anymore. I got the porch, steps and walkway done and had the driveway about 1/3 finished when our wonderful neighbour, Tommy, showed up with in mini-plow. He did the bottom of the driveway for me. I was so happy. I managed to clean the van off and back it up into the clean spot of the drive way so I could shovel the top part. He hollered at me to pull it out onto the street and he did the top part too. We have great neighbours!

This morning there was a little cleaning up to do, mostly from the blowing snow last night. I dug out the deck too this morning because there was almost 2 feet of snow on it and we would have a tough time getting out the back door if we needed to do so in a hurry.

Now that we're all dug out, I'm not sure if we're actually going anywhere today. I'd like to maybe go no further than for a walk in the snow and spend the rest of the day watching movies. I have a whole bunch of things sitting here on my computer just waiting to be watched so it would be fun to get through some of them.

The other day, we saw "Jesus Camp." It scared the crap out of me, seriously. It was tough to watch because, in my opinion, the kids at that camp were being abused. It felt like child abuse to me. They were quite literally brain washing those kids and didn't seem to me that this is what being a Christian is supposed to be about. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure that worshipping a cardboard cutout of George W. Bush on an altar is breaking a commandment. It's scary but worth seeing I think.

No comments: