Tuesday, July 04, 2017

because it's Tuesday - week of July 4

If you've been reading these pages for any length of time, you will have by now learned that I am a massive fan of the late and wonderful, Kirsty MacColl.

Her tragic death in December of 2000 inspired me to start this blog in the first place (I had web sites prior to that but really didn't update them with any regularity).  I wanted to share information about the Justice for Kirsty campaign and named the site after one of her songs.

Many people know her voice because of her involvement with the Pogues (now classic) Christmas song (and my favourite Christmas song of ALL TIME), Fairytale of New York.  What folks may not know is that she was a brilliant song writer and pretty early on in her career, Tracey Ullman covered one of her tunes.  "They Don't Know" became a hit, partly because it's awesome and partly because of Ms Ullman's hilarious video - with cameo by Sir Paul McCartney and all.

A few months ago, I was listening to a complication album of Swedish pop songs and stumbled upon the Sweptaways and their version of "They Don't Know."

I quite enjoyed it, check it out, it should make you smile xo


1 comment:

denise jordan said...

Awesome and timeless song!