Tuesday, May 16, 2017

because it's Tuesday - week of May 16

A couple of weeks ago, I made a trip to Toronto.  This was kind of a big deal to me for a few reasons.  First of all, the purpose of the trip was to see Father John Misty.  I bought myself a pair of tickets as a slightly early 50th Birthday gift.  It was an impulsive thing and I invited my old friend Jane (who I'd not seen in years) to go with me.  I was super excited to see Mr Tillman in concert and to reunite with Jane was a wonderful bonus.

As an aside, the show was incredible.  It happened to be the first show of the tour and seeing it in the Royal Alex theatre felt very special.  The trip to Toronto was interesting.  I had never ever driven to Toronto alone before and this was first time visiting the city since Mark's death.  He was a Toronto guy, was born there, lived there for 47 years.  He shared parts of the city with me that I didn't know existed.  To say it felt odd being there without him, is a massive understatement.  I think he would have been pretty impressed that I not only got there safely but also because when my GPS failed, I was able to find my way around, get where I needed to be and do that in super heavy rains, with the threat of the DVP closing due to flooding hanging over my head.

Prior to discovering Father John Misty, I has a passing awareness of Josh Tillman and Fleet Foxes.  I got into FJM a few months after Mark's death.  It seemed like for months on end throughout 2016, it was all was listening to, Fear Fun and I Love You Honeybear.  His lyrics really spoke to me.  I was depressed, grieving, anxiety ridden.  He knew what that was like and I felt like I had found a kindred spirit.  The fun thing about not being into something from the beginning is that you get to dig around and discover all kinds of treats.  One of the things I found is the cover I'm sharing today.

To me, and certainly to Mark, some songs are sacred and should not be covered.  John Lennon's "God" was definitely on that list for both of us.  John so perfectly performed it that any other interpretations were unnecessary.  Well I thought that until I watched this clip.  It's from a club performance in London at Christmas 2015.

I think he did an amazing job on it and feel like Mark would have appreciated it too.

For what it's worth, I don't believe in Tom Petty either.

enjoy xo


No comments: