Wednesday, May 07, 2014

We'll miss you Mr Mowat


I was sad to hear the news that Farley Mowat, a true Canadian national treasure, had passed away.

He was 92 years old and lived an incredible life. 

Once, a long time ago, I had an opportunity to meet him.  Back in my radio days, he visited the station for an interview with Erin O'Donnell and Marisa Dragani.  He was quite a character, sweet, funny, and I remember that he gave us all a quick smooch before he left.  We were all a little star struck, after all, he was a living legend.

What I liked most about Farley Mowat was how "un-Canadian" he was.  He wasn't always sweet and polite, he was controversial, he was feisty, full of piss and vinegar and he broke that stereotype of the meek and mild Canadian.  Farley Mowat was a shit disturber of the highest order and we don't have enough of those in our neck of the woods. 


No comments: