Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Islands In The Cheese

When I was in high school, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton's "Islands In The Stream" was a huge hit on the radio.  After school, and on weekends, I worked as a cashier at a local grocery store and the radio played over the address system in the store.  Each time "Islands In The Stream" played (and it was a lot), I would groan quietly and roll my eyes.  One of the "older" lady (she was probably 30 which would have seemed ancient to my 17 year old self), full-time cashiers, I think her name was Pam, would chastise me and tell me that I just didn't understand the depth of the song and when I was older, I'd appreciate it more.  Almost 30 year later, I still don't think that there was much substance to the song but my appreciation for well-aged cheese has grown over time.  I'm still not a fan of the original but some cover versions of the song just make me smile.  Including this one, enjoy!

No comments: