Friday, November 09, 2018

Not Guilty, Just Pleasure - I Miss That Feeling

A year ago today, I said good bye to buddy Sam.

He was only 10 but had developed a rare malignant growth in his heart.  His poor sweet heart.  Losing him just about killed me.  It was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do but I don't regret my decision.  I could have kept him with me a little longer but that would have been selfish and I ran the risk of him dying alone, frightened, choking, in pain... I could not allow that to happen.  In consultation with our vet, we made the decision to say goodbye to him in a humane, peaceful way.

He died in my arms, hearing me tell him how much he was loved.  I miss him a lot and it seems impossible that it's almost a year.  Gracie has had struggles with her health since he died, the two things are unrelated. Gracie was always the frail one, she always had more serious issues with her health than Sam did.  In all honesty, I always thought that she would go first and Sam would get to live to be one of those 18 year old Eskies you see online.  That was not to be the case.

Gracie and I are trucking along.  We keep an eye on each other, I take her to her monthly vet visits / skin treatments.  I think my van knows that drive to the Sydenham Vet Clinic without me even steering now.  I'm glad that I can do that for her though, keep her comfortable and as spry as an 11 year old arthritic Sheltie with skin and ear issues (and apparently, this week, an enlarged heart too) can be.

So, to make myself stop feeling sad, I'm going to share some music with you that makes me smile.  I have shared songs by Tennis here before.  I just really dig them.  I like their look and their sound, they have the total package.  I can't get to Toronto this weekend but if you can you should go and check them out.  They are playing at Longboat Hall tonight.

For those of you, like me, who can't be there in person to witness the awesomeness which is Tennis, I leave you with the wonderful video for "I Miss That Feeling."  They do have a bitchin' look, a foxy singer and a guy who plays guitar... Enjoy it kiddies and, if you have a pet, give them an extra scratch behind the ears from me xo


No comments: