Saturday, November 03, 2018

NaBloPoMo - it's a thing

I recently (Tuesday or Wednesday) found out that November is NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month).  I knew that it was also NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) but no one ever told me that NaBloPoMo was also a thing.  Not only is it a thing, it's a thing which has been around for a while.

NaNoWriMo always seemed way too ambitious for me to even consider doing but NaBloPoMo, that might be something I could actually succeed at.  I've been blogging on an off for almost 18 years now.  Even at my bloggy best I don't think I posted every day. Perhaps November 2018 will be the month of daily posts, every day!

Gracie watching me write - it's not very exciting
At some point during the last couple of years, I realized that I missed writing.  I'd let my blog fall to the side.  Every once in a while I'd post something but it wasn't enough to be consider regular.  What to write was often a puzzle and writers block is nothing to laugh at.  About 18 months ago I decided that I'd post once a week and the idea was that I'd share a cover song I liked, on Tuesdays, and write a little bit about why I picked the song, what it meant to me and perhaps even something about the original recording artist and the artist covering it.  Now, I didn't promise to necessarily write about all of those things but I figured that from that list, I could, at minimum, create a post that if I were to stumble upon it, I would enjoy.  You have to please yourself first, right?

Eventually, I worked my way up to 4 themed days each week.  The themes revolved around music.  I don't thing I'm a music writer though, when I write about songs, it's usually how they relate to my life.  It's more about me and less about the songs really.  Anyway, I've decided that to add three more days to my blog each week probably won't kill me so I've accepted the NaBloPoMo challenge.  I'm determined to write a post each day in November.  Obviously, today's post is not keeping with a particular theme but by Monday I'll have figured out if I'm going to write 7 themed posts or just wing it for 3 and keep the 4 themes I'm already working with.

One thing I have noticed about writing is that the more I do it, the more I want to do it.  It gets easier if I write regularly.  There are no promises that it'll get more interesting but quantity is more important than quality, right?

See you again tomorrow kids, xo


No comments: