Friday, April 14, 2023

Finally Friday - Pretty Good Guy

Mark Collis, a pretty good guy
Finally, it's Friday. It's also Mark's birthday. He would have been 71 today. This year would have been a good one for him. Unlike many years when he was a kid, it's not falling on Passover, so he'd get to celebrate with a dessert he liked instead of a matzo birthday cake (he didn't care much for it).

Marking the day without him always feels sad and weird. By the time it gets to be the 8th time you do it, it should be easier, but it isn't. There will forever be a Mark-shaped hole in our lives. I miss him each day, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Not a day goes by that I don't think about him, share a story about our life, or tell one of his favourite jokes. 

The way I'm feeling right now (which is a bit mushy and fragile),  if I say much more, I'll be crying too much to see the screen. That would be bad.

I'm sharing a song he loved and identified with in honour of his birthday. It's "Pretty Good Guy" by Fred Eaglesmith. I know that I shared a Fred song recently, but this one is special so I hope you'll indulge me. Mark loved this one. Normally, I just share a bit of a lyric from the song of the day, but I'm leaving the whole song here for you to read. If you substitute "fix your car" for "fix your computer" or "fix you a mind-blowing meal," you'll see that this really describes Mark.

Today, if you're inclined to do something in his memory, I'd suggest you have a nice breakfast (a good version of bacon, eggs, toast and coffee was always his favourite meal) and listen to some Fred.

Take care, kids, and hug the folks you love, frequently and often xo

There's a couple old people
That live across the road
So I keep the volume down
On my radio
And all the neighbours say
When I go by
He's a pretty good guy

Hey, I'm registered
In CPR
And if you asked me to
I could fix your car
It's just the way I am
I got a pretty good life
I'm a pretty good guy

Just one good man
All the good ones are gone
Hey, play it again
I like that song

There's a pretty good guy
Coming down the street
And you'd be surprised
He looks a lot like me
Since you've been gone
I've realized
That you were wrong
I'm a pretty good guy
Yeah, you were wrong
I'm a pretty good guy

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Birthdays and other milestones feel so strange when we are grieving a loss. Sending love your way, Peggy.