Thursday, May 17, 2012

sad girls

From an early age, I always liked songs with hand claps and strong backing vocals.  You can appreciate how much I liked Donna Summer's "Bad Girls" with it's "toot-toot, beep-beep" opening.  Of course, as a young girl, I had no idea what the song was about.  I just knew that I like it and I loved Donna Summer's amazing voice.

One of the first LP's I bought with my own money was "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer.  I seem to recall my mother being pretty upset when she saw it.  I had no idea what prostitutes were and, of course, there were photos of Donna and other women, dressed as "ladies of the evening" all over the cover  I think my mum got over the shock eventually and I almost wore those records out.  As a school girl in the 1970's I loved to sing along with "MacArthur Park", "Hot Stuff", "Last Dance" and (of course) "On The Radio" -  Donna was the Queen of Disco and her music was infectious.

I was shocked and saddened today to hear that she'd died at the very young age of 63.  She was a massive talent and her star shone very brightly. Cancer sucks and I'm very angry that it's snatched away another talent, too soon

No comments: