Friday, December 16, 2005

best neighbours EVER!!


best neighbours EVER!!
Originally uploaded by Julep67.
When we went to bed last night it was snowing. It was coming down quite hard actually and the weather reports were screaming about heavy snow fall. When I got up this morning, I peeped through the curtains and could tell that we definitely got some snow but had no idea how much.

As I walked out to the front of the house, to see how much we had on the porch, Mark turned the weather channel on. The screen was bright red. That's never good. To me, it looked like we might have 4 to 6 inches on the ground. Of course, at 4:30 a.m., it's hard to tell exactly what's going on in the world outside. One thing was certain, no plow had been anywhere near our street yet.

Mark, very carefully, headed out to work. It was still snowing quite hard so I (on my first full day of vacation!!) took to my office to clear out some clutter, sort out bills, drink massive amounts of coffee, that sort of thing. By 9 a.m or so, you could tell that it was starting to let up so I got dressed and headed out to shovel. Imagine my surprise when I opened the front door and found almost a foot of snow on our porch.

Now, usually (by usually I mean, the past 3 times I have had to shovel our new driveway), I do the driveway first and then the porch and the little sidewalk that leads from the driveway to the steps. I couldn't even see the step. I could barely see Mark's 4 hour old steps in the snow. It was THAT thick!

I had no choice in the matter, I had to start on the steps and basically try to dig my way to the driveway. I've been outside for about 2 minutes and our next door neighbour, Pat, who is outside digging out his vehicles hollers over at me, "hey, Tommy will probably do your driveway for some beer." Just as he's telling me this, Mark pulls up in front of the house, home for his coffee break... Mark goes and talks to Tommy and the deal is made.

Tommy has a ride on lawn mower that has a snow blower thing on the front of it, he did an amazing job on the driveway, he did Pat's drive, the sidewalks in front of our house. It was terrific.

We've been in this house less than 7 months now and don't know many of the neighbours, well, didn't until this morning. One of the nice things about a big storm is that it pulls everyone out of the house and into the street. I can't get over how friendly everyone is on this street. We're literally around the corner (there are 2 stop signs between them) from our old house but it's like being a different world, in a really good way!!

No comments: