Sunday, May 25, 2003

sunshine day

Despite the fact that the forecast called for wicked storms today, the sun shone upon us all day today. I was so happy to get outside into the fresh air! It was so great, I actually got a fair bit of gardening done. We had a big tree taken out of our yard last spring and there is a still a huge stump and big roots in the bottom of our yard. I was down there with the weed-whacker this afternoon and couldn't believe the amount of water still laying around down there. I hope that it's nice the next couple of days so that the ground can dry up a bit. I wasn't able to get the whole thing done because the water was so deep. I did get a couple of plants moved around though. I'm glad that the ground had softened up. If it hadn't, I don't think I could have done it. I'm realizing more and more that our ground is mostly clay. When I got the one plant dug up, I could just barely get it up next to the house because of the clay ball surrounding the roots. I didn't want to knock too much of it off, the plant looks sort of sad at the moment but I'm hoping that after a couple of days, it'll perk up and settle in to it's new home. It should do well where I've put it, next to the patio where it'll be bathed in morning sunshine every day. We'll see.

I'm really impressed with the weather so far this spring. At this time last year, I had literally no gardening done. Right now, except for a very miniscule amount of weeding and edging, I'm almost done. I mean, you're never done really because of the weeding and pruning and stuff, but the yard is in great shape. I've decided to not do any annuals this year. I'm sticking with perrenials and have luckily received many "donations" from friends and family. The garden is starting to fill in and in a couple of years should look pretty decent. It looks much better right now than it did 2 years ago when we started working on it.

Here are some photos I snapped this afternoon:








my new peonies my sad little transplanted plant my hydrangas

No comments: